Tip: Fight Fair
by Sawyer's Martial Arts
Published on April 6, 2011
Sooner or later, all couples argue. Think of it as an opportunity. If you handle conflict well, it can build a stronger relationship. Keep these ground rules in mind:
- Wait to talk until you're calm.
- Take turns talking, and carefully listen to each other.
- Discuss one issue at a time.
- Use "I" statements, such as "I feel angry about the budget," instead of "you" statements, such as "You spend too much." Accusations tend to put people on the defensive.
- Take a time-out if you begin to feel flooded with emotion. Agree to get back together at a certain time to finish discussing the issue.
- Look for ways to meet in the middle â€” compromise is a valuable skill.